Every Day Italian

I knew that looking back and all the times I had cried would one day make me laugh. What I didn't realize, was that looking back on all the times I laughed would one day make me cry.

Monday, June 26, 2006

The Meaning of Love

I asked a friend if I could borrow his post so that I could get a reaction from the "non-myspace crowd". But I, also, am very curious to see what others have to say.

Today, for some reason, I felt the urge to think about love. What is romantic love? Is it something magical? Is there one person in the world that each of us is destined to find? What makes it so special?

Well, here's my take.

Friendship + Sexual Attraction = Romantic Love

Let me explain. Both friendship and attraction are required for the development of romantic love. It could be that, over time, you become sexually attracted to one of your good friends. But more commonly (especially for the guys, I think), you know right away that you are attracted to the girl, and romantic love blossoms as the friendship grows.

I believe that this has surprising implications. Obviously, this view denies that there is anything magical, spiritual, or foreordained about love. It is an entirely human condition with no supernatural explanation needed.

It also implies that in a long relationship, love can wither either through loss of friendship or attraction. Though rare, it seems at least possible that a relationship could continue after loss of friendship if the sexual attraction is strong enough. Much more commonly, though, sexual attraction is lost first, but the relationship stays strong because the bond of friendship remains. I believe that many mature marriages fall into the category of friendship rather than full romantic love.

More controversially, this view accepts the possibility that someone could truly and wholeheartedly love many people at the same time.

So, where does this leave marriage? Before I asked Diane to marry me, I asked myself, "Is she the one for me?" According to this analysis, that is precisely the wrong question to ask. There is no "The One." There are potentially many (and perhaps none) that would be compatible with someone for a lifetime. This leads us to the scandalous implication that polyamory (literally, "many loves") is a perfectly legitimate expression of human feeling.

[Frankly, this belief bothers me a little, and I think it bothers Diane more than a little. This belief leaves out a proper account of jealousy. Evolutionarily, we are a predominantly monogamous species. It is natural for us to feel jealousy when we sense that our partner is attracted to someone else. Is it possible for humans to overcome the predisposition to jealousy? Or are we so hard wired that it cannot be avoided? Is the liberal/hippie ideal of "free love" ultimately incompatible with human nature?]

So...am I on to something here? Or is my point of view undermined because its implications are so radical? Come on, everyone has an opinion about love. Let me hear yours!

Well...

7 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man! He put a lot of thought into that. However, I think there is a lot of truth to that. But what do I know. Anyways, I have a book that you might like to read thats kind of helpful in understanding love relationships and it has a lot of biblical insight which is always helpful. Anyways. I enjoyed the vacation in Texas. Hope you have a wonderful & blessed birthday.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Sher said...

First off, checking out "The Four Loves" by C.S. Lewis is a good start. Good book. Great writer. I think it would shed some insight on this subject.

Next, I will comment on a particular phrase..."Obviously, this view denies that there is anything magical, spiritual, or foreordained about love."
I believe love is foreordained in the way all relationships are foreordained. I personally believe that God brings certain people into your life at certain times for you to share life with. Sometimes that is for friendship, sometimes that is family, but sometimes that is love. Sometimes that love lasts, sometimes it does not. However, I think that whatever kind of love it is, God has foreordained it because he has foreordained that relationship. (This is my reformed theological point of view coming out though.)

As far as love is concerned, I do believe it is possible to have a romantic love for more than one person. At the same time? Not sure. I definitely do not think it is right to have romantic feelings for more than one person at the same time. But it may be possible. (Lots of things are possible that are not right. And right being defined by what I feel is in-line with God.)

I do believe that God created us to be with one person, "the one." I believe God creates two people that are to be united in marriage for His purposes and His glory. Not everyone is created for marriage, but I believe (wholeheartedly and theologically) that MOST people are created for marriage. It takes a special person who is not created for marriage who can withstand/abstaine from the sexual urges that are given, by God, to humans. Not everyone finds that "one" person though, because not everyone follows or believes in the will of God. However, I think if you are truely seeking the plans of the Lord, then He will guide you to that foreordained relationship He has created you for.

I could go on, but I am not. This is my opinion for now. People are free to disagree with me. That is fine. That does not mean I cannot share community with you. It just means we choose to think differently.

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger RC said...

is there something magical about love?

well if romanitic love is friendship + sexual attraction

what is familial love (say the love you have for a parent, or even more so, the love of parent has for their child)?

Is this friendship + anything? No...it is a deep bond that usually cannot be put into words.

I think your analysis of how love and attraction happens is not far off in many cases, but your discussion of how it dwindles seems very wrong.

True Love to me is caring for someone above yourself in all circumstances.

I think my friends are great, but it is my hope that when they're making life decisions (having a baby, moving, changing jobs) that they are thinking about there families and doing what's right for them, not for their friends.

And attraction is not the magical spell that changes everything to which I want my friends to consider me above themselves.

NO WAY.

And of course polyamory is possible and exhist.

I think with Sheri's Christian World View, when she is talking about God intending us to be with One person get's into a whole big gray zone...

But I will say that I believe that God can help develop and foster healthy romantic love as well as when people become married they can make a commitment before God that there bond is more than just attraction, it is a desire to have a life long commitment with someone else, even if the attraction or friendship fades for a season.

These are just the beginning of some thoughts that of course are a challenge to put down into words.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger ~lynnie said...

wow, while i donĀ“t really want to get into all the discussion on love and its reprocussions (sp?) and whether or not there is just one person for everyone.... :)

I *do* want to wish Deva a happy birthday from Mexico - Feliz Cumpleanos. I'll sing happy birthday in espanol when i get back....

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger janamichelle said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY dear DEVA. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you.

you are coming to see me. i am so excited.i hope you have a great day!

 
At 5:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well put sheri! missed seeing you in Texas.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Dad said...

The post is on to something iff (and only if) there is no absolute moral standard. The author seems to assume that science is the ultimate Truth. Assuming that we are products merely of the chemical reactions and evolutionary instincts that drive us toward survival, then yes, romantic love is simply a summation of social bonding and physical bonding.

How horrible! How depraved! We feel those things, but is that all we feel? At some point we must make a decision to love. If it is Real love, then we must commit to it. Real love is higher than animal love because it is a echo of the character of God.

Sorry for almost preachin'. It's my job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home