Every Day Italian

I knew that looking back and all the times I had cried would one day make me laugh. What I didn't realize, was that looking back on all the times I laughed would one day make me cry.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Special Place In My Heart

Four years ago, on Thanksgiving day, my dad suffered a heart attack. Heart disease runs in my family and at the young age of 49, my dad suffered a heart attack that could have killed him. I can remember driving behind the ambulance, crying, and praying that my dad would be okay. My prayers were answered. My dad has fully recovered, but it has left a lasting impression on the rest of my family. So, when I tell you that my latest project holds a special place in my heart, believe me.
(I step on my soap box) Heart disease and stroke are the number 1 and 3 killers in the nation. This does not only affect the obviously unhealthy, overweight individuals. Heart disease is the number 1 killer of kids under the age of 15 (wow). So, I bet you are wondering how we can save lives if this is something that is hereditary. Well, there isn't much we can do to prevent this, but we can definitely so something to help.
When someone has a heart attack, there is a window of about 7 minutes. If they recieve CPR their chances of survival are drastically improved. On September 24, I will be participating in the HEART WALK. The HEART WALK is a idea that hopes to raise money to teach CPR classes to high school seniors and business and to put life saving devices (defibrillators, the machine that shocks people) in business and on ambulances in rural communities. How confident are you that an ambulance will get to your loved one in 7 minutes? Knowledge is power. Equip people with the knowledge to save lives.
I know I'm starting to ramble. This is something that I could talk about for a while. To sum things up, I realize that most of you guys are students and don't have a lot of money, but I am asking for your support. You may not be able to contribute directly, but you might know someone who would be willing to give something (parents, coworkers, etc.). I know that everyone knows at least one person that has been affected personally by a heart attack. Please pass the word along. If you know of someone that you would rather me contact, I would be more than happy to talk with them.
I have a donation site set up through the hospital and the minimum donation on the site is $25, but any amount can be given to me personally to submit.
I know this was long, but I hope some of you found this of interest.
American Heart Association Donation site.

2 Comments:

At 7:34 PM, Blogger Deva said...

Someone at work is offering to pledge 10 dollars for every inch I cut off my hair.

 
At 9:39 PM, Blogger general125 said...

I may give you $1 for every inch you don't cut off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home